Friday, September 3, 2010

Premarital counseling, part uno

Now that A&M classes have started, not as much wedding stuff is going on, simply because we've done a lot. That was completely my intention, and I like that now I can focus on my homework, my thesis, and grad school apps. So what I do cover wedding-wise will mostly be from back in the summer, pre-blog. Though, I did do something wedding-related yesterday. I messaged my bridesmaids for a date to go look for dresses. That's something, right? Here's the info on that:
  • Location: David's Bridal
  • Color: Wisteria 
  • Length: Knee length
  • I'm going to let the girls choose what dress they want. If they all want different ones, cool, if they all choose the same one, that's cool, too. I want them to feel pretty and confident in front of all those strangers, and this way I have 1 less decision to make!
K, there's your dress info. Now moving on to the topic at hand...

A couple of months ago, Matt and I will visiting my family in Houston, met with Rev. Dr. Jones, the minister that is going to perform the ceremony, for the first of 3 premarital counseling meetings. As he said, the ceremony is the easy part. It's the marriage that's hard. That is something both Matt and I completely agree with, and we want to maintain our focus on our relationship, and keep it centered on God throughout the planning. 

So at our first meeting, we didn't even discuss the ceremony. First, we talked a little bit about ourselves, and then why we loved each other, why we wanted to get married, all that, in addition to our future plans. Then Dr. Jones talked to us about marriage, what to expect, and a lot of other things that I won't go into detail here. He recommended we read a book called His Needs, Her Needs by William Harley, Jr, that Matt has started and says is really good. I can't wait to read it so we can discuss things, but in the meantime, one of my classes this semester is a Marriage Institution class. The first book we're reading and discussing is literally titled How to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You. First, I do NOT recommend this book for anyone because it just builds these superficial relationships based on deception and manipulation. But, I will say that it has shown me that Matt and I have a much better relationship than anyone that follows that book would have. 

Anyway, I know this has been a very vague post, but if you have more questions, ask me. 

So have a great weekend! Date night, Midnight Yell, and A&M's first football game (BTHO SFA!) are all in my plans, so should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment