Friday, September 10, 2010

What I have been/am/will be reading

As in most blog-related things, I have been inspired by other blogs to share with y'all what I'm reading. Because I'm just so positive that you, yes you, want to know exactly what I'm reading. Yes, that is sarcasm.

I just finishedHow to Make Anyone Fall in Love with You
Now you might ask why the heck I'm reading this book, when I'm obviously engaged with a guy who theoretically loves me. Well, it was for school. Seriously. I had to read this silly self-help book for my HONORS Marriage Institution class. Oh Sociology, how you make me smile/cringe. 

We had to read this book in basically two week and write two response papers over it. In both papers, I described how manipulative I found it. Throughout, she (the author, Leil Lowndes- who is single, FYI) used language such as hunter, huntress, quarry, and hunt to convince the reader to use her techniques to essentially deceive the person's target to 'fall in love' with them. Though at the point you're lying and breaking all of my morals, what kind of love is that, anyway? 


Basically, I do NOT recommend this book. Just an interesting one I had to read for class.


What I am currently reading: The Hobbit 
So I actually tried to read this in middle or high school, but could never get past all of the dwarves arriving at Bilbo's house. But, I started reading it and have really enjoyed it thus far. I am planning on reading the rest of the LOTR series, as well, so I'm sure you'll hear more about my journeys with Tolkien. 

What I am about to read: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
I am reading this one with Ginny, a good friend of mine who is also planning a wedding, and her blog is here. Anyway, we were both wanting to read a good Christian book so we can discuss it, and so hopefully we'll get to start this soon. Has anyone else read this book by Francis Chan? What were your thoughts?


What I am also about to read: The Second Shift
This is also for my Marriage Institution class, but it looks to be much more fact-based, academic/sociological in content, so I'm a lot more excited about this book than the first. Hopefully I will not want to throw it against the wall like I did the first one (which I may or may not have done. Heh). Anyway, this book by sociologist Arlie Hochschild looks at the working woman, and how when she gets home to her family, she is still doing most of the house work.

I feel this book will be much more relevant to my future life than the first one was since I am not planning on being a stay-at-home mom. I was raised with my dad staying at home until I was in 6th grade, so until I was in like, 3rd or 4th grade I totally thought that was the norm. With Matt, I know we will both be working full-time. We do not want kids right away, especially since I will be going to grad school for the next 5-6 years. After that, I want to get settled in a good job, whereever/whatever that is, and then we'll think about it. But I think it will still be a good read.  


Anyway, it is the weekend! Anyone have anything exciting going on?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm excited about reading Crazy Love. :) And I always get stuck at the part in the Hobbit, too, haha. Too much forest description follows.

    ReplyDelete