Tuesday, August 31, 2010

And now for something completely different

Grad schools!

Up to this point, all I've really discussed is the wedding, but:
1) this is my blog, I can write about anything
2) a wedding is important, yes, but far more important is what comes after it
and 3) I want record of all of this

Yesterday because I had a slow day of classes (AKA 1, and it was a kinesiology), I went ahead and made a rough draft of all of the schools I'm applying to. These had the fit the following parameters:
  • Be in an area that held aero industry for Matt
  • Offered a PhD in Criminology or Deviance
  • Wasn't too sketchy (non-accredited) 
So I came up with 7 schools, one of which is a Masters program in case the industry thing doesn't work out, and Matt could go to TAMU while I go to SHSU, but, I'm getting ahead of myself. K, here's the list, along with the location:
  • Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX (Masters)
  • University of Texas at Dallas, Dallas, TX (PhD)
  • University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (PhD)
  • University of New Haven, West Haven, CT (PhD)
  • University of Miami, Miami, FL (PhD)
  • Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN (PhD)
  • University of Washington, Seattle, WA (PhD)
There you have it. Of course some may be added, though I sincerely hope not. Each of these apps is very intense. Some require 3-pg personal statements, others are just 1 pg. Some want you to send them your official transcript yourself, others want it directly from the school. They are all so different with their requirements, it just seems so silly. Oh well, gotta get through it I guess. 


Obviously our preference is to stay in Texas, but we'll go where the job and grad school and money dictate. It's an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment