Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I love free stuff

Especially when it comes to the wedding! So right after we got engaged, I went to Europe for a vacation with my brother (I may one day show you pictures simply because I looooovvvveee to relive that trip).  While we were gone, my parents had already booked the church and picked out a possible location for the reception. So yes, that means we had the date decided on within 48 hours of our engagement. My parents are pretty awesome, just sayin'. 

Anyway, once we got back, I started looking for save-the-dates. I really did like the magnet ones with the pictures, but we did not go for those for the following reasons:

1) Cost. One of the first things I read when it came to wedding planning was to develop a list of the top 3 things that are the most important to you, and that's where the money should go. The rest, you should probably not necessarily skimp on, but not get what your 'dream wedding' included. My top three things were/are: the dress, the photographer, and the cake. While being married to Matt is the most important thing, I knew ahead of time how much the church fee was going to be, which includes everything. The other things were the unknown. Anyway...
2) We were not going to have our engagements done by the time we wanted to send the save-the-dates out. Since we're getting married on Memorial Day weekend, and it is a holiday of sorts, we're apparently supposed to send them out ultra-early or something. So we needed something that could be done quickly.


There you have it. More than you ever wanted to know about why I did not go for the fun, magnetic save-the-dates. But, I think what we found is more us, and I am perfectly happy with them. So back to the story... 


I was searching online after we got back from our European adventure, and stumbled upon The Wedding Chicks. Along with having tons of fun and cute ideas for weddings, they have free templates you can use for invites, save-the-dates, table numbers, etc. Here is a sample of their cute-ness:




All credit for these pictures- Wedding Chicks
So, great website! And then I stumbled upon this guy:
Source: Wedding Chicks
Right off I knew this was perfect (if you know anything about the groom, you'll know why)! And you can customize the colors to match your wedding colors, then personalize the names, date, and location. Then they email it to you, you print them out on postcard cardstock, do a mail merge for addresses, and boom- you're done! So simple, and best of all-- free! My parents had the cardstock laying around the house for whatever reason, so that worked well. 


They went out in the mail a couple of months ago, and people said they like them, which makes me happy. 


And there you have it. Who knew I could say so much about a postcard?

No comments:

Post a Comment