Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall Cooking Challenge #8- Pumpkin Pancakes

For this recipe from my Fall Cooking Challenge, I did it sooner than I thought. Last Sunday morning I woke up before Matt, and felt like cooking breakfast. And that's what I did. Proof I am a morning person. And me, being the good and loving wife that I try to be, knowing that my husband is NOT a morning person, let him sleep. Until me banging around in the kitchen woke him up 30 minutes later. Oh well.


Anyway, these were delicious, easy to make, and showed me I need to get an egg separator. 


Source
Pumpkin Pancakes, from here
For 2 servings (I doubled the amounts listed here because I figured it wouldn't be enough for my carb-loving husband)
Ingredients:

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 large eggs, separated
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, egg yolks, melted butter, and vanilla extract together, mixing well until smooth.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing with a spatula until just combined.
4. In another small bowl, using an electric hand mixer (or whatever you have on hand), beat the egg whites until thick and stiff.
5. Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake batter, mixing until smooth.
6. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat.
7. Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray, and, in 1/4-cup increments, cook each pancake until lightly browned on each side, about 1 minute per side.
8.  Repeat with the remaining batter.
9.  Top with your favorite syrup, and enjoy.


I was 3/4 of successful egg separations. Not too bad I guess
 

Batter looking not so yummy
 

And much better!
On the griddle-- the batter is thicker than what I'm used to so they don't spread out on their own very much

Source
Yup, let's just pretend that was my picture :P They were absolutely delicious and both Matt & I really liked them! Perfect for a good fall breakfast when paired with warm apple cider or coffee

3 comments: