Friday, October 21, 2011

Fall Challenge #3- Irish Beef Stew

In the third week of my cooking experience, I had scheduled some delicious Irish Beef Stew! And let me tell you, it's delicious! I'm not typically a big stew person, but this tastes really good and I like all the veggies in it, too.


Find the original recipe here

Irish Beef Stew
Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons flour
1lb beef stew meat or diced beef
1 small onion (chopped)
2 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
4 carrots (peeled and sliced)
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
6 garlic cloves (minced)
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1 (12 ounce) bottle Irish stout beer
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
¼ cup fresh parsley (minced)----I used dried instead- it's what I had on hand



Step 1: In a large pot heat oil. Coat beef cubes with flour and fry in oil until browned on all sides. Remove meat from the pot and set aside. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan. Cook onions until tender.
Step 2: Add the beef back to the pot. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, beef broth and beer. Add potatoes and carrots. Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
Step 3: 
In a measuring cup mix together 1 table spoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water. Pour into the stew and stir. Simmer until the sauce has thickened. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
(Makes 6 Servings)



-Heads up, they say 6 servings, but I think that depends on who you are. It made so much that we froze  some, will definitely have enough for 10 servings or so. 



Browning the stew meat

The gratuitous pouring picture
All mixed in and ready to simmer!
Done... om nom nom!
Now that the weather has finally cooled down a little bit, it is definitely a good fall food. I highly recommend it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment