Thursday, January 13, 2011

Premarital counseling, part dos + Meeting with Music Minister

Haven't read the first counseling session?? Go here.

One of the things Matt & I did between New Year's and our New Orleans trip was have our second meeting with Reverend Jones, you know, the guy who is going to perform the ceremony. This appointment was not nearly as awkward as the first one, which was nice, but it was really helpful like the first session was. He read us two passages from the Bible, and commented on them and described his own marriage and how it related.

The first passage was from Genesis 2:24- "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh" [NIV]. I know most of us have heard that verse before, but Rev Jones described it in a new way that I hadn't thought of before-- when you get married, you leave your old life behind as you start a new one [parallels becoming a Christian]. He talked about letting bad habits die as well as getting rid of negative people in your life (that is those that think negatively of marriage and/or your spouse). It seems a bit obvious, but I never made that connection before. 

The second passage was the traditional 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a- "
 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.|8 Love never fails." (NIV) For this, Rev Jones described various situations in his own marriage. One of the themes he touched on was based on verse 5. In marriage, it is no longer 'me succeeding' or 'you succeeding.' Instead, it is 'we fail' or 'we succeed.' 

Basically, just good things to remember.

After that, we met with the new music director at the church. He is a rather young guy from New York, and very cool & easy to talk to. He was open to anything (i.e. remake of the "I Gotta Feeling" processional), but Matt & I believe the ceremony to be the most important part of the wedding. Obviously it is where we actually get married. Everything else is just (expensive) fluff. Being significant then, we wanted the traditional music. I know I prefer the piano to the organ, and besides not wanting to have the Bridal Processional be the "Bridal Chorus" (AKA 'hear comes the bride...'), I had no preference.

So he gave us several options for each slot where we need to have music, and with the help of YouTube and google, we have been able to come up with a decent list. Once we make the final decision I'll let you know! But I'm excited-- it's going to be pretty and not too formal or traditional. 

How did you pick your bridal processional? Or have you always just known that you wanted to walk down the aisle to a particular song?
 

1 comment:

  1. I have to meet with our music director soon, too and I have nooo idea or preference as to which music. I'm going to just hear his suggestions and then ruminate on it for a week I guess.

    ReplyDelete