Friday, July 6, 2012

My PSA: People are special

First, I hope everyone had a great 4th of July! We spent the holiday with Matt's family and are having a great time visiting with them! Did you do anything special? Any cool firework shows?

But, on to the main topic. This special trend was recently brought to my attention and I'm not sure what to make of it. What is it?

Source
People are posting pictures of their debit cards. On social media sites. For the world to see. There was a twitter account dedicated to rounding up all such posts from Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and the like to make this insane behavior public. Don't believe me? Here's the twitter account: @needadebitcard [it is my understanding this was shut down a few days ago, though]. 

As this article pointed out, those individuals are making it much easier for identity theft. Most places require the CVV numbers (the 3 digit code on the back of the card) to place an order by phone or electronically, but not all. Thus, by posting a picture of the front of the card, any identity thief has all the information they need to use that card. 

So please, as my PSA for the month, please be smart before you post anything online. It is never as private as you like to think. 

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. To help put a positive spin on this Friday's post, here is a cute animal!

Source

1 comment:

  1. Why would ANYONE post a picture like that?? That's ridiculous!

    I'm glad you guys had a good 4th!

    ReplyDelete