Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Four Years

Four years ago today, I got myself ready and met a boy downstairs in one of the  foyers of our freshmen honors dorm.


We awkwardly said hi, then walked to Potbelly's on Northgate (popular bar/restaurant area outside A&M) for a quick bite to eat.


As it is a counter service place and I wasn't sure if it was a date, I ended up paying for my own meal. (I had asked him to dinner, after all.)


We sat down and started talking. I found out he was from Austin, but not a Longhorn fan (thank goodness!). He found out I talk way too much and ask a lot of questions.


Then we walked back to our dorm, said goodbye, and went back to our rooms to study (him)/attend a Bible study (me).


All that night I was thinking about why he didn't hug me. Did he really not think it was a date? I wasn't sure, so being the typically impulsive, can't-keep-my-thoughts-to-myself kind of girl, I messaged him, bluntly asking what that dinner was to him. Date? Just friends? 


I know, so many rules broken, but it worked for us. 


He messaged me back saying he would meet me outside my room in a few minutes.


Then he hugged me. With one arm.


Um, no. Not acceptable. And I told him as such.


So he hugged me with two arms and life was good.


Obviously that boy is now my husband. And I am so grateful for that quasi-awkward first date :)


Us at a dorm dance a few months later
Us at a different dance a few years later 

3 comments:

  1. HAHA I love the one-armed hug part. Classic. Happy four years to y'all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE! Happy date-iversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just catching up on reading your blog. I love the way this happened!

    ReplyDelete