Monday, February 27, 2012

Amazing + Heartbreaking

That about sums up the movie Matt and I saw this weekend-- "Act of Valor."


Source
If you haven't heard of the movie, let me give you a brief description. It basically covers several missions of a Navy SEAL team, including their leaving and coming home. There are several things that make this movie quite unique, unlike something that has been done before or ever will be done again. First, it uses active-duty Navy SEALs. Second, it portrays missions that are based off of real-life special forces missions. Third, it uses live ammunition + actual Navy tactics + actual Navy weapons/transports/etc. 


Seriously, those portrayed as Navy SEALs are the real thing. It doesn't get much cooler than that. It does get graphic at parts, but if you've seen other 'war' movies, (i.e. Black Hawk Down), it isn't worse than that. It is also very emotional and I wish I had brought some kleenex. However, I cannot wait to see it again because I know there are things I missed, both in the cool technology side as well as the dialogue.


I know, it is a more man movie than a chick flick, obviously, but I get this weird guilt complex when I make Matt watch chick flicks. Plus, without actually being in the military I know I wouldn't have seen a lot of these things. Hollywood ain't got nothing on the real thing.


I highly recommend this movie to everyone. In a time such as this overrun by politicians and their campaigns, it is so good to be reminded of those fighting for our freedom and safety, those that have fought, and those that paid the ultimate price. 


[This movie is rated R, for very good reasons. It is graphic. There is harsh language. Just consider that when thinking of if you want to see it or who you want to take with you.]

No comments:

Post a Comment