Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Oktoberfest in New Orleans

Because clearly New Orleans is known for its German food. Well, at least it should be. This past weekend, Matt and I took a whirlwind trip down to NOLA to visit my family. And I mean whirlwind-- drove down Friday, hung out Saturday, and drove home Sunday. Both travel days were in the rain for 75% of the drive, but it was well worth it. We had a great time on Saturday as you'll be able to see-- enjoyed a lot of great food (that I strangely didn't take pictures of, sorry) and had a great visit with my aunt, uncle, and grandfather. Next time we'll definitely stay a little longer, though! :)

We spent Saturday morning touring the French Quarter
And discovering cute alleyways
And watching street performers outside of Brennan's. They tried
to get Matt to dance, but he refused. After seeing what he
would have done though, I must say that was the right call.
And now Oktoberfest, where they had wiener dog races! Sounds strange, but is really fun!
They had several heats we got to watch, some more comical than others
The one on the far left was Layla. Her fans (yes,
she had groupies) had t-shirts that said "Lightning
Layla." She ended up winning the competition!
Of course they had to have the 'Hold the Beer Stein' competition. I have
no idea how much it weighed but it was quite impressive to watch them go!
Matt turned into Mad King Ludwig
Here's the same castle by the way-- Schloss Hohenschwangau;
picture courtesy of my trip to Germany in 2010. 
And our amazing host for the weekend, my aunt Paula, rocking the dirndl!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Looks like fun -- oh, yea, I was there, wasn't I? Ya'll come back now, hear?!?! Love, Paula
    P.S. -- bring the rest of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need closeups of the wiener dogs! Glad y'all had fun.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete